• The friendly Linux forum for all users.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Linux Forum! As we have just launched, please help us grow by telling your friends about us and posting in the forum. Thanks!

Thinking of getting a Laptop

Discussion in 'Linux Installation' started by videodrome, Nov 23, 2016.

1. videodrome

videodrome Member

So it looks like I'm going to go back to truck driving because I live in a terrible job market. I'm thinking of taking a laptop with me for general computer usage like web browsing and if I have time, continue to dabble in Python and eventually C++ so I can get a better job.

I'm wondering if a new laptop might have free drive space to just install Linux aside Windows, or if I should just expect to wipe the drive, reinstall Windows 10 on half the drive, and then install Linux if I want a dual boot? Or maybe get a laptop with an easy to open panel and just swap the drives?

2. atanere

atanere Active Member

Nothing wrong with truck driving... anything that pays the bills!

I have been in a rut with computers lately, so my advice will surely be bad. But mostly my issues are with very old systems, not late-model WinX stuff. (My WinX experiences have sucked too.) But a simple solution might be to just run Linux on a persistent USB install, or install to an external hard drive. I wouldn't recommend swapping hard drives inside the case of your new laptop, at least not often.

Best of luck!

3. videodrome

videodrome Member

Yeah, I feel stuck in a small town, so maybe trucking can help me get out of here to.

As for Windows, I guess it depends on whether I really want to keep my Steam games that require it and if I pay more for a Laptop that can handle games.

I'll probably hit the road first and see how much spare time I have for anything between trips.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  4. videodrome

videodrome Member

Well, I've been on the road with this company almost 2 months. Decided to splurge and got a gaming laptop ASUS STRIX gl702vm.

This nice new laptop uses both a SSD and HDD and came with Windows 10 installed on the SSD for speed. I shrank the SSD space for Windows using Windows Disk Manager and also split the HDD in half for Windows and Linux.

I then ran the installer for Netrunner Linux after adjusting for UEFI in the BIOS. For some reason, this installer did not want to recognize the HDD, only the SSD. So, I went ahead and installed Netrunner to a small chunk of the SSD. At this point, I had a nice boot screen and gave me the option to select my OS.

After I got into Netrunner, I used Gparted to format the unused part of the HDD to ext4. I can now mount it and I'm using this to store general data like Media files.

Overall, I'm happy with the resulting system and how everything is running.

5. atanere

atanere Active Member

Looks like a nice laptop, and hope that it gives you many years of good service! I'll bet that Linux is screaming fast on that SSD too.

It sounds like the UEFI did not give you too much trouble either... lucky you. I have only dealt with a few UEFI systems, and so far I've been able to make them work every time. But every time is different and some are far more difficult than others.

Safe travels!

6. videodrome

videodrome Member

It is an impressive boot speed.

One strange thing about installing Netrunner is the installer did not want to recognize my HDD, only my SSD. I went ahead and installed the whole OS to a chunk of space on the SSD.

After I was up and running, I setup half of the HDD to be ext4, and now I can access it from my file manager. For some reason, it wants me to authenticate every time I mount it, but it's not that big a deal. I'm putting stuff in there like my MP3s, downloaded ISOs, and Virtual Machines.

On the Windows 10 side, I have Steam installing my games to the HDD.

Since I'm traveling, I installed Private Internet Access VPN for both OSes. The app installs easily on Windows, but not quite as smoothly as on Netrunner(Debian base). Their app is setup more for Ubuntu. Fortunately, I found a simple tutorial on how to setup and launch the VPN connection from the terminal.

Overall, I'm really pleased that I got everything setup on this laptop.

7. atanere

atanere Active Member

If you've got it all running good.... don't be like me, just enjoy it and don't mess with it. I am constantly breaking things and starting over from scratch again. I am too much of a tinkerer.

Now that you mention it, I have to authenticate every time I mount other partitions on my desktop too (using Linux Lite). I actually think its a good thing though and helps keep those partitions better protected in the event some malware finds its way in.

Cheers!

8. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

Can you put it in your /etc/fstab with paths, etc.. so it mounts on boot w/o having to auth?