• The friendly Linux forum for all users.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Linux Forum! As we have just launched, please help us grow by telling your friends about us and posting in the forum. Thanks!

Google Drive Linux Client

Discussion in 'Linux General' started by fcuco, Aug 9, 2016.

1. fcuco

fcuco Member

The lack of a Google Driver Linux Client baffles me, while it is very easy to install the Dropbox one and start synchronizing any folder right away you can't do this with Google Drive even though they have a Windows one that works reasonably well.

To add insult to injury rumor has it that a client exists yet it is only used internally by Google. I really don't understand this company or the reasoning behind this, who made such decision as to deprive linux users of a proper client?

I know there are some alternatives, but I failed to make them work, does anybody here has had any success with this?

blackneos940 likes this.
  2. John Snort

John Snort Member

Maybe they don't bother releasing a Google Driver Client because it has to be open source? So I suppose they don't bother because there already are a few unofficial Google Drive clients for Linux.

If they already have a Google Drive client for Linux could be they might release it when they feel it's the right time.

Have you tried Insync? I've heard it's the best but it costs about $20 to use the service.

3. hades_leae

hades_leae Member

Yeah, I figure that's why also, they might already have a line up of unofficial products as you say. It's google, they have products for everything. Knowing that G.Drive isn't open source would be the only reason I need to determine why it's not available,

4. kernelo

kernelo Active Member

I'm also unable to grasp why google is yet to release an official client for linux, seriously. Given how receptive is Google with Linux Kernel. But anyway, to access google drive I do it the older way that is logging in and upload my stuff from a browser.

5. fcuco

fcuco Member

Yes, I came across them when searching for a solution, also with some open source products that people created doing their best but they don't worked for me, I even toyed with the idea of using something like OwnCloud, but I decided against it, if I am going to pay for a service I may was well pay for more space on Dropbox since their client works like a charm anyway.

6. fcuco

fcuco Member

Yeah, but that is such a PITA, you lose all the automatic synchronization. This has to be some commercially motivated decision, maybe they don't want to handle people using the service for back end server stuff, hence the lack of support for linux, and only want people using the service for personal purposes, maybe that data is more valuable for then to do data mining.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I am not familiar with all of this, but it does surprise me to hear of anything where Google is not involved or relatively behind compared to other companies. When you put it like you did it really makes sense that they would have a Linux Client, but I guess not. I imagine that this would make life a little easier for a lot of people, but I guess we will have to wait and see. Interesting stuff, and thanks for sharing.

8. Casiox

Casiox Active Member

It probably is because they do notreally have any kind of deal with Linux distros to make it work there, Google developers are intelligent, they would charge for it if that was the case. It's really weird that Google does not maintain any kind of relationship with Linux since it's just another OS, there are some green reasons behind this, I guess. $$$$

9. fcuco

fcuco Member

Mmh... that's not the case, like, not the case at all. Google is one of the largest and more important contributors to the Linux kernel, and not only with Android related stuff...

10. TJ Lowe

TJ Lowe New Member

I believe I know why Google is not releasing a Linux client for Google Drive.

I think it does fall under the heading of commercial motivations, but more specifically it is because they want to push Chrome OS. If it weren't for the existence of Chrome OS, and things were limited to Chrome the browser and the Google Docs & Drive ecosystem being left at that, I think we'd have a Google Drive for Linux client available. Because Google is an "open" company (but still constrained by corporate growth pressures), whose own success is heavily rooted in Linux to begin with (Android of course, as well as it's own server farms and hosted products), I think it would have pushed out Google Drive for Linux like it promised YEARS ago. Yes, the app would have to exist and is being used internally. A screenshot was posted when its pending release was announced years ago.

From the perspective of them trying to build their overall ecosystem, in the macro world of consumers from here forward choosing from the Apple / Google / Microsoft worlds with their full body of operating systems, media and app stores, mobile and desktop... Google probably still really feels compelled to flesh out a better desktop OS solution. Chrome OS's success becomes imperative then, and I believe that is when Google put the brakes on releasing Google Drive for Linux. Through the new perspective of wanting to drive people to Chrome OS, having a tighter, built-in integration with Google Drive would be an automatic determining feature to put in the exclusive to Chrome OS category. All other Linux users become in a minority small enough to ignore. (A problem that's not unique to Linux, as Microsoft can attest to with its own high quality Windows Phone 8.1 phones, for example.)

11. blackneos940

blackneos940 Active Member

For now, there's always Chrome/Chromium!..... :3

12. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    atanere likes this.
  13. atanere

atanere Active Member

Nice! I don't hardly use any cloud storage, but this is good to know.

Cheers!

14. Crippled

Crippled New Member

Any Cloud storage is just an other way to spy on you. The best backups are done to an external hard drive.