• The friendly Linux forum for all users.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Linux Forum! As we have just launched, please help us grow by telling your friends about us and posting in the forum. Thanks!

Do you work with Linux as part of your job?

Discussion in 'Linux General' started by Rob, Jul 26, 2016.

Do you work with Linux as part of your job?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

Pretty straight forward question - do you work with Linux as part of your job?

2. BasementMitch

BasementMitch Member

Yes, we currently have this going at my office. Actually, I"m fairly sure it has always been used there. Thankfully, I was fairly good at using the OS when I was hired, although I don't understand much about how it works. *cowers*

3. Amdac

Amdac New Member

I work with windows based laptops and a windows server for mass data storage. Unfortunately being in the military, that will never change. :D

Now that I'm getting more used to linux, the one thing I've noticed is how annoyed I get being forced to deal with windows at work. Simple things like USB drives not ejecting properly, random system crashes, etc.

BasementMitch likes this.
  4. bosconian

bosconian Member

I work as IT support on a company where 99% of the computers are running Windows but for over a year now I've been using Linux at my workstation. I work solving Windows issues but ever since I made the switch to Linux at work my workflow has improved greatly. I'm using a 4+ years old laptop and it felt really slow when it was running Windows 7. Now I'm using Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 and have never been happier with this computer.

5. JasKinasis

JasKinasis Member

No, but I would happily take a job working with/on Linux, and/or getting paid to develop free software.

6. BasementMitch

BasementMitch Member

Ugh, don't get me started on the USB ejecting ... I have had one corrupted for ejecting even when it said it was safe to do so. And then I've had ones that were fine for put them in and pulling them out whenever I felt like it. Why is that?

7. Lewriter

Lewriter Member

Absolutelly. Linux is actually the most-important working tool to me. Previously, I used Windows for many years, then I discovered the flexibility of Linux. I made the transition in baby steps. FIrst installing free substitutes working programs I used. For example, GIMP for image editing. Scribus for PDF and so on.

I even remember having used AndLinux.org to run Linux applications inside Windows.

Currently, when I'm asked to work with a format that is Windows-only, I do it in a Windows virtual machine. I have come to use an old Windows XP with only 192 of RAM allocated in Virtualbox to work! With so few resources it is basically another application. I use it and shut it down right afterwards.

For the rest of my work-flow, I always try to use only Linux applications.

JasKinasis and BasementMitch like this.
  8. bosconian

bosconian Member

@Lewriter it is 2016 and Windows 10 have been out for almost a year now and I really have to ask, do you really use Windows XP at work? Why not just run your app with Wine?

From time to time I do have to use a windows-only app, and when I can't run it with Wine I do launch a Virtual Machine but I run Windows Seven or Windows 10.

9. Lewriter

Lewriter Member

Oh friend, believe me I would very much like Wine to have 100% compatibility with all Windows applications, but this is not the case.

Using Windows XP SP3 we can install .NET 4.0 by means of which the vast majority of .NET applications work great. Basically, Wine is what I use for native applications, it works wonderfully for them, but there are still some programs that refuse to function properly under Wine, especially the more modern .NET-based ones.

Until Wine can run these programs perfectly, there is no other choice for me but running a virtual machine within Linux. I won’t go back to Windows as my main operating system because of some isolated apps, that's for sure :)

Actually, I'm rather happy to be able to install these stubborn programs in an old XP VM that consumes few resources.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    JasKinasis likes this.
  10. JasKinasis

JasKinasis Member

If Wine will not do the trick, why waste valuable system resources running hogs like W7, W8, or W10 in a VM if XP will do the job?

Lewriters decision seems perfectly rational to me. XP is definitely the option I'd go for first. That is, if I ever needed to!

11. Casiox

Casiox Active Member

Well, I am currently studying Electrical Engineering and there's a course named Computer Laboratory or something like that where our professor makes us use Linux and as I have said on previous threads, he somehow wants us to stop using Windows and start using Linux and make it our main OS, however, I do not know if it could still be considered as part of my job, I think it really does so yes.

12. hades_leae

hades_leae Member

Why can't that change? If you need Linux, wouldn't they change it for you, or let you change it if it would be better for your job? Those problems that you mention, are they non-existent with Linux, if so, that makes me really want to get on the Linux train. I hate when my Windows 10 freezes up on me, and it's still new.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  13. KenJackson

KenJackson Member

Not currently.

But a decade ago I used Linux as my main development PC at work even though everyone else used Windows. It was wonderful. That was a small company.

From there I went to a big company that has a "company policy" (fascist policy) that excludes connecting Linux to the company network. The moral of the story is to only accept jobs from small flexible companies.

14. KenJackson

KenJackson Member

Yeah, me too. In my pre-Linux job, I installed Cygwin on my work Windows PC, taught myself Emacs and as many Unix/Linux commands as I could.

15. Lewriter

Lewriter Member

This is the best way. When people are desperate, their desperation tends to end up "burning" them.

In my view, making the transition to Linux is a process. Part of this process is learning to like taking action on the matter, instead of expecting for the support department of a company to solve things for you.

In addition you likely end up growing your appreciation for the free and open-source software gradually over time.

Linux is not for everyone. There really are many users who are better served buying a traditional commercial operating system license, obtaining support and being done with it. But for the fellow like us who have grown to love what the Linux ecosystem -and by extension the free software ecosystem- offers, it is a wonderful thing and there is simply no turning back.

16. bosconian

bosconian Member

@JasKinasis @Lewriter ok, I see now why you would like to run XP instead of a newer Windows version on a virtual machine. The memory footprint of XP is really small, I remember running it flawlessly on 512 MB of RAM. My question was because XP is dated and doesn't have any kind of support, that's why I don't see myself running that version of Windows even if I do think it was a great OS.

Still, I made the switch to linux on my personal computer right after Windows 98. I did used Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 over all these years but now I haven't touched Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 (ok, I have tried 10 but only on a VM).

I'm the only one using Linux full time at work but that's some kind of a lie because I still use Windows only apps...

17. JasKinasis

JasKinasis Member

Sure, XP's old and unsupported. But it is lightweight and generally stable. As long as the VM running XP is completely isolated from the internet, I don't think security is too much of an issue. As long as the software runs smoothly, XP is probably the best option.

I've been using Linux and Free/Libre open source software on all of my personal machines for many years now. I completely ditched Windows a long time ago, so I have no need for any Windows VMs. I was just pointing out that from a pragmatic POV, XP seems like a good, logical choice!

Interestingly, at my sons birthday party the other week, the dad of one of my sons friends was telling me about his new startup company, based in London - deploying Linux servers, hosting multiple VM's of various old versions of Windows. Going right back to Windows 95. As far as I understand it - it allows his clients to be able to securely access mission-critical, legacy software that only runs on older versions of Windows. Making the old software accessible from virtually any OS and without having to keep woefully outdated (and vulnerable) machines on their company networks. He didn't give much detail, but it seems like a great idea and he already has an impressive list of customers.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  18. KenJackson

KenJackson Member

Hopefully someday ReactOS will be stable enough to be a practical Windows-like alternative to Windows.

19. kernelo

kernelo Active Member

No. Since everyone here got used to Microsoft Office, there's no way I would come and say to give up the license for LibreOffice even despite of being of my liking. I tried to use it as an alternative on my laptop, but the formatting issues when opening a compatible file modified in LibreOffice environment just give me a lot of headache.

20. Nerdlington

Nerdlington Member

Yes, I do, though not exclusively. I am a software developer an analyst, so work a lot with web and Windows based apps. Linux-based servers are not uncommon in the market niche that I am in though. Back in the day, it was Unix based "big iron" but that has given away to open source alternatives. I've been using Mac OS for some thing over the last few years and like it quite a bit, not the least of which since a Unix-like OS lives under the pretty face.