• The friendly Linux forum for all users.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Linux Forum! As we have just launched, please help us grow by telling your friends about us and posting in the forum. Thanks!

Common pronunciations of Linux directories, commands, etc

Discussion in 'LF Linux Articles' started by Rob, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

Over the course of the 20 years that I've used Linux, i've said and heard a number of ways that people pronounce things and think I have a pretty good idea of the most accepted ways to pronounce and say things when dealing with Linux systems.

When you're on a conference call at work or just dealing with colleagues face to face you want to make sure you know what they're talking about.

I overheard two co-workers (Joe and Scott) talking the other day. Joe said "cat proc cpuinfo". Scott wasn't getting it so Joe said "no.. no, type cat slash proc slash cpuinfo" and eventually got on the keyboard himself.

When asking someone to do something.. you don't say the slash..
    e.g. "list out the etsy hosts file" or "tail var log messages"

One thing you want to do is learn how to pronounce each of the top directories in Linux. Some of the ones I hear differently from people are:

/etc: etsy (like the website) Not "E T C" or "et cetera"
    /lib: lib.. rhymes with rib. Not libe.
    /lib64: see above
    /mnt: mount
    /proc: prock.. rhymes with rock
    /sbin: s bin
    /selinux: S E Linux
    /tmp: temp
    /var: rhymes with jar
    /usr: user

Other things i've heard pronounced differently than the majority of how people pronounce them:

Linux: most people say it with a short i like spin.
    MySQL: most people say "My S Q L", not "my sequel"
    fstab: F stab (some say F S tab)
    initrd: init R D
    fsck: F S C K - or FS check
    chown: as one syllable.. rhymes with 'own'
    chmod: as one syllable.. rhymes with 'nod'
    ls: L S (ell ess)
    sudo: rhymes with voodoo
    vim: rhymes with gym
    vi: vee eye
    emacs: rhymes with junk :cool:

List out your additions/experiences below!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Bob Loblaw and blackneos940 like this.
  2. rz3300

rz3300 Member

This is a nice list. I would like to think that I am pretty good at recognizing them and using them well, but I know that I still look like a fool sometimes, and probably even more than that. I can think of a couple times when it has held me back a little bit, but this will certainly help, so thank you.

3. bosconian

bosconian Member

Hey @Rob english is not my main language so I've got to ask, how is it different to say "F stab" compared to "F S tab"?

4. atanere

atanere Active Member

F Stab = eff stab
    F S tab = eff ess tab

5. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree Wongwanlee Active Member

How about the very word 'Linux' itself? Do you say 'li-nuhx' or do you say 'li-nooks'? I think I have heard both pronunciations being used. Just want to know how people around the world pronounce it.

6. Clair02

Clair02 Member

Personally, I'm yet to hear how anyone else pronounces these words seeing as all my lessons so far have been in text only. I made up my own pronunciation from the way the words looked. I just guessed what they sounded like.

7. Scotsgeek

Scotsgeek Member

Are you trying to start a flame war??? I will take emacs over vi/vim any day of the week!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    jeremy, KenJackson, Rob and 1 other person like this.
  8. atanere

atanere Active Member

Oh boy... here we go again! LOL :D:D:D

jeremy, Rob and Scotsgeek like this.
  9. Scotsgeek

Scotsgeek Member

Hey! Rob asked for it! ;^)

jeremy, Rob and atanere like this.
  10. KenJackson

KenJackson Member

I thoroughly empathize with this. I don't know why, but it seems impossible to just say what to do when it comes to the command line. Maybe GUIs, led by Windows, have programmed people to stop thinking when they see a command prompt.

Rob likes this.
  11. Amdac

Amdac New Member

Hmm, am I incorrect in pronouncing this as "soo doh"? I used to laugh when I heard "soo doo" in youtube videos.

atanere likes this.
  12. atanere

atanere Active Member

Yeah, I guess I say it wrong too. It seems like "sudo" should rhyme with "judo." And if I were writing a song I'm sure it would go something like that! :D

Of course "sudo" means, "Hey! SuperUser, DO (this command for me)." So "soo doo" makes sense.

Maybe I'll change eventually. At least I quit saying, "lie-nucks" a long time ago. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

13. atanere

atanere Active Member

More things I guess I say incorrectly...

Ubuntu should be oo-boon-too (but I say oo-bun-too).
    MATE desktop should be mah-tay (but I say mate, like checkmate).

And I still don't know the best way to say SUSE or openSUSE!

Maybe I'll never learn after all. :confused:

14. KenJackson

KenJackson Member

What about plain old SQL? I always say "S Q L", but I notice a lot of people say "sequel".

15. Scotsgeek

Scotsgeek Member

Does it really matter how we pronounce these names, words, and acronyms?

In the immortal words of Gilbert & Sullivan, in "Ruddigore":

16. atanere

atanere Active Member

Why, sure it matters! @Rob started a thread about it, so it's got to be important! :D

Scotsgeek and Rob like this.
  17. Scotsgeek

Scotsgeek Member

Oh, I don't know! @Rob lost some serious cred when he trashed emacs! ;^)

jeremy, Rob, KenJackson and 1 other person like this.
  18. atanere

atanere Active Member

Oh boy... here we go again! LOL :D:D:D

jeremy, Rob and Scotsgeek like this.
  19. ronnieRon

ronnieRon Member

That is interesting. I never realized so many of these I do myself. I never say the slash when spelling out a command to anyone. I kinda assume that the slash is implied anyway. Also,I spell it like My S Q L. I have always been pronouncing emacs as e-macs and fstab as F- stab.